Free Download Manager
Free Download Manager
Free Download Manager in Windows 8
|Operating system||Windows XP SP1 and later|
Software: Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Opera, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, Apple Safari, SeaMonkey
|Available in||Albanian, Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Chinese (traditional and simplified), Croatian, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Korean, Macedonian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish and Vietnamese|
|Type||Download manager and BitTorrent client|
|License||GNU GPL version 3|
Free Download Manager is a free and open-source download manager for Microsoft Windows.
FDM was previously proprietary software, but with the release of version 2.5 it has been free software.
Starting with version 3.0.850 (15 April 2010), source code is no longer provided as a packaged download,
- but is available in the project's Subversion repository.
Free Download Manager received a 2007 Webuser Gold Award.
- The GUI presents several tabs that organise types of downloads and allow access to different
- features in the program.
- Download information view that shows each download's progress bar, file preview, community
- opinions if any are written for that download and a log showing connection status
- Drop box for file drag-and-drop
- HTTP and FTP download support
- RTSP/MMS download support 
- Batch downloading support for downloading a set of files
- Splits large file into parts (specified in the settings of the software) and downloads simultaneously
- BitTorrent support (based on Libtorrent)
- Metalink support, for easy downloading from mirrors
- Magnet URI scheme support.
- Flash video download from sites like YouTube and Google Video
- Resuming broken downloads, if permitted by server
- Download throttling via three fully customizable traffic modes: light, medium, and heavy
- Import list of URLs from clipboard
- Integrates with the browser being used to track URL or Copy functions if downloadable content is found
- Remote control via Internet
- Downloads - This is the focal point of the program, which is simply a download manager. Users can also create groups with folders to which files with specific extensions will be downloaded.
- Flash video downloads - This feature helps users to download FLV video files from YouTube, Google Video and many other site.
- Torrents - Allows to download torrent files
- Scheduler - Users can create and manage lists of tasks to be executed at a preset time. Tasks include launching external programs, starting and stopping downloads, and shutting down the computer in all possible ways.
- Site Explorer - This feature is an FTP client.
- Site Manager - This feature allows users to tell FDM how to act with specific sites, such as websites that require authentication, or how many download connections a website can accept simultaneously from the user.
- HTML Spider - This feature can download a website by following and downloading links recursively.
Try to upgrade first.
- Go to your Firefox Profiles at C/User/Your User Name/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/Your Profile/Extensions and look for the folder for Free Download Manger.
- There should be a file called install.rdf in that folder. Open it in a text editor Notepad++ Home
- Now you need to change the maxversion to 14 or the version of FF your running. Find this line
<em:maxVersion>3.0.*</em:maxVersion> (the 3 could be a higher number is just an example) Change to <em:maxVersion>21.*</em:maxVersion>
- Save the file and close the editor.
- Restart Firefox is see if extension will work now.
You will get a window that will open up in Firefox asking you about this extension just click okay or something like that.
NOTE: Version 15 and after the install.rdf is located in C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\Firefox\extension
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Software/Free Download Manager.|
- Official website: http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
- SourceForge: Free Download Manager
- Free Download Manager Review
- BitTorrent client
- Comparison of file sharing applications
- Comparison of download managers
- Comparison of YouTube downloaders
- "FDM 2.5 is released!". Free Download Manager blog. 15 April 2007. http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/blog/2007/08/15/fdm-25-is-released/. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "Free Download Manager". SCM Repositories (SourceForge). http://freedownload.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freedownload/. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Andy Shaw. "Free Download Manager Review - Web-User". Webuser (IPC Media). http://daily-productreviews.blogspot.com/2014/12/free-download-manager.html. Retrieved 2008-09-11. (Dead link: date August 2011))
- "Blog Archive » Current stable version: FDM ver. 3.9.2 build 1303". Free Download Manager. 2012-12-27. http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/blog/2012/12/27/current-stable-version-fdm-ver-3-9-2-build-1281/. Retrieved 2013-06-14.