Backing up (or Restoring) Microsoft Outlook Files
If you would like to backup the entire set of mail files in Outlook, perform the following steps:
- In Outlook, under the File pull-down menu, choose Import/Export.
- Choose to export to a file.
- Choose Personal Folder File (.pst)
- Select Personal folders (or only specific sections if desired).
- Click on include subfolders.
- Choose a directory to save or leave at default.
- Choose a backup file name, such as Outlook Mail Backup.
- Choose encryption or password protection if desired.
- Click on OK.
To restore Outlook Mail files from a backup perform the following steps.
- In Outlook, under the File pull-down menu choose Import/Export.
- Choose to import from another program or file.
- Choose Personal File Folder (.pst).
- Select a directory and file to import.
- Select defaults which are the backup name, include subfolders, and Import into the same folder in "Personal Folder".
- Click on Finish.
This will restore all the old mail to your current Outlook installation.
It is possible to copy other specific files on an individual basis by looking for and copying those files with specific extensions. Microsoft Outlook stores files in the following types of files:
- Files with the extension of .pab are address book files.
- Files with the extension .pst of are mail files.
- Files with the extension of .rwz are the rules wizard files.
Current Record: 1509
Create Date: 11-06-2003
Last Reviewed: 03-14-2009
Confirmed MS Outlook 2007 DarkShadow 21:38, May 3, 2011 (UTC)